Roger Stone Admits Spreading Lies on InfoWars
Trump adviser made the admission in settling a defamation suit brought against him by an exiled Chinese businessman
By Cezary Podkul and Shelby Holliday Updated Dec. 17, 2018 7:44 p.m. ET
As questions swirl about his credibility, former Trump campaign adviser Roger Stone settled a defamation suit seeking $100 million in damages on Monday for publishing false and misleading statements on InfoWars.com, a far-right website known for promoting conspiracy theories.
The agreement requires Mr. Stone to run ads in national newspapers, including The Wall Street Journal, apologizing for making defamatory statements about a Chinese businessman who is a vocal critic of Beijing. It also requires Mr. Stone to publish a...
TO READ THE FULL STORY
Ex-Trump advisor Roger Stone
admits to spreading lies online
in lawsuit settlement
Stone had accused a Chinese businessman of making illegal
donations to Hillary Clinton, among other things.
Roger Stone leaves a courthouse in New York on March 30, 2017.Seth Wenig / AP
Dec. 17, 2018 / 9:46 PM EST By Tim Stelloh
Former presidential advisor and longtime Republican operative Roger Stone admitted in federal court papers filed Monday that he has spread false information online.
In the settlement, which was first reported by the Wall Street Journal, Stone retracted the information and apologized to Guo Wengui, an outspoken critic of the Chinese government also known as Miles Kwok.
A defamation lawsuit filed by Guo in May said Stone had used the far-right conspiracy theory site InfoWars to accuse Guo of making illegal political donations to Hillary Clinton and financing a presidential run by former Trump strategist Steve Bannon.
The suit also said Guo had been convicted of financial crimes in the United States.
Chinese billionaire Guo Wengui at a news conference in New York, on November 20, 2018.
"This is not true," the suit says.
The suit sought $100 million in damages.
In Monday’s settlement, a statement from Stone said he’d failed to do his own research and “improperly” relied on former Trump campaign advisor Sam Nunberg. The statement says Nunberg’s alleged source was Bruno Wu, who the Journal described as a Chinese-American media tycoon whom Guo has accused of being a Chinese government spy.
“Recognizing my errors, I reached out to Mr. Guo and asked him to settle his defamation suit against me,” Stone said. “Mr. Guo graciously agreed to accept my regrets and apology.”