The Paradox of Our Time
我們這弔詭時代
The Paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings, but shorter tempers; wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints.
我們這個時代充滿了悖論:我們的房子越高,脾氣卻越壞;高速公路越寬,視野卻越窄;
We spend more, but have less; we buy more, but enjoy it less.
我們消費得越多,擁有的卻越少;買的東西越多,享有時候越短。
We have bigger houses and smaller families;
我們擁有的房子越大了,家庭卻越小了;
more conveniences, but less time;
越便利,時間卻越不夠;
we have more degrees, but less sense; more knowledge, but less judgement;
學位越多樣,知覺卻越鈍;知識越多,判斷卻越少;
more experts, but more problems; more medicine, but less wellness.
專家越多,問題也跟著增多;醫藥越多,卻越難健全。
We drink too much, smoke too much, spend to recklessly, laugh too little,
我們酗酒、酗煙、不顧一切的揮霍、而真心開懷的時刻卻少了
drive too fast, get too angry too quickly, stay up too late, get up too tired,
開車狂飆、容易暴怒、通宵熬夜、起身滿是疲倦,
read too seldom, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.
閱讀少了、電視卻看個沒完、祈禱\也稀少了。
We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values.
我們積累財富越多,價值觀卻越淺\薄。
We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.
我們說得太多、愛得太少,卻恨得太頻繁。
We have learned to make a living, but not a life;
我們只會如何賺錢,卻不懂得如何生活。
we\'ve added years to life, not life to years.
我們把睡數添到生命上,卻沒能將生命加進歲數裡。
馬齒徒長,卻沒增長生命的深度和廣度。 (哈,終於有句翻得稍稍有點中文化ㄌ )
We\'ve been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet the new neighbor.
我們已經能夠往返於地球月亮之間,但穿過街道去問候新鄰居卻有困難。
We\'ve conquered outer space, but not inner space.
我們征服了外太空,卻無法征服自己的內心;
We\'ve done larger things, but not better things.
我們完成的事愈來愈大,卻不見得愈來愈好。
We\'ve cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul.
我們淨化了空氣,卻玷污了靈魂。
We\'ve split the atom, but not our prejudice.
我們能夠解析原子,卻無法化解偏見;
We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We\'ve learned to rush, but not to wait.
我們表達得更多,吸收的卻少了;我們的計劃更多,完成的卻更少。我們學會了急躁,卻遺忘了耐心等候。
We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less.
我們生產更多的電腦用來處理更多的資訊,只製造了前所未有的拷貝量,而溝通越來越少。
These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships.
這是個速食卻難以消化的時代,自我日益膨脹卻少有獨特性,深刻的利益關係而淺\薄的人際關係。
These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes.
這個時代有雙份收入但也有更高的離婚率;有裝修華美的房屋,但更多的破碎家庭。
These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill.
這個時代能快速旅遊、拋棄式尿布、道德遠拋、一夜情、體重過重,甚至從使人興奮到安靜到死亡都可以靠藥物達到。
It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom.
這是個表象櫥窗滿滿,而內在貯存卻空空空空如也的時代;
A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete.
這個時代的科技能將這封信傳遞給您,你可以與大家分享其中見解,也可以隨手刪除。
My advice to you is:
我給你的忠告是:
Remember; spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever.
記住,花些時間與你愛的人們在一起吧,因為他們不能永遠陪在你身旁。
Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side.
記住,說些善意的話語對那些心存敬畏,對你尊敬有加的人吧,因為孩童終將長大成人,不能留在你身邊。
Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn\'t cost a cent.
記住,給緊挨著你的人來一個熱情的擁抱吧,因為這是你發自內心的給予他人的唯一財富,並且你不花一文。
Remember, to say, \"I love you\" to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you.
記住,對你愛的人說「我愛你」,但最重要的是這是你的肺腑之言。要知道,發自內心的一吻與一個擁抱可以修復心靈之創傷。
Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.
記住,握著他的手,珍惜著這一刻吧,因為終有一天他將了結塵緣,離你而去。
Give time to love, give time to speak, and give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind.
拿出些時間去愛,去表達,拿出些時間與他人分享你心靈中的寶貴思想火花吧!
And always remember:
請永遠要記住:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
衡量生命的不是用你呼吸的次數,而是在你屏止呼吸的那刻。